Guardianship and Conservatorship

Call Us Today: 720-316-2074

Discover How A Guardian Or Conservator Can Meet Your Needs

Last updated on October 11, 2021

Sometimes the services of a guardian or conservator become essential unexpectedly, such as when someone is in a coma after a car accident and does not have powers of attorney in place. In other circumstances, it is understood well in advance that a guardian or conservator will need to manage someone’s health care and/or assets. For example, when a disabled child is about to become a young adult at age 18, they may need a close family member, friend or professional caregiver to fill the role of a guardian or conservator.

Whether your situation is urgent or you have time to plan, consult with a compassionate, attentive lawyer handling guardianships and conservatorships. At The Hickey Law Firm, LLC, you will enjoy the guidance of an attorney with nearly 20 years of experience in many areas of the law, including all aspects of probate law, guardianship and conservatorships, and estate planning.

Understand Guardianship And Conservatorship

Your minor or adult family member may, because of illness or developmental delays, need a conservator to:

  • Obtain and manage money needed for education or other purposes
  • Prevent dissipation of assets needed for the care and welfare of the person
  • Make living arrangements for him or her
  • Make and communicate decisions about business matters on the conservatee’s behalf
  • Accept an inheritance
  • Gain authority to deal with medical professionals for the ward.

Likewise, a minor child or an incapacitated adult may need a guardian to:

  • Handle financial matters (for a child)
  • Assume responsibility for the person’s physical health (for a child or adult)
  • Watch out for the ward’s safety and self-care

The Hickey Law Firm, LLC, can evaluate the needs and circumstances of the person in question and help determine whether a conservator or guardian is appropriate. Attorney Erin E. Hickey can then help you petition to be that person’s conservator or guardian or petition to name someone else as the responsible party. She will ensure that you understand the responsibilities and powers of a conservator or guardian.

Move Forward From Concern To Action

You may realize that someone in your family needs a guardian or conservator, but you are not sure what to do next. You have come to the right place.

At The Hickey Law Firm, LLC, we understand your concerns and are ready to address them. We have helped many families through tough times by getting a conservatorship or guardianship established. Note: If an incapacitated adult has appropriate powers of attorney in place, a conservatorship or guardianship may not be necessary.

Get a lawyer’s knowledgeable opinion, and start resolving your challenging matter by calling 720-316-2074 or by sending an email inquiry through this website. The Hickey Law Firm, LLC offers a complimentary 15 minute phone consultation.